Welcome to St. Anthony, St. Margaret, 
and Sacred Heart Catholic Churches

Niagara, Pembine, and Aurora Wisconsin

Forums

Forum Home > Ask Father > Worthy of Christ

Fr. Matt
Site Owner

What does it mean when we pray: ‘Pray for us O Holy Mother of God, that we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ’?

April 10, 2014 at 11:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Fr. Matt
Site Owner

You may (or may not) recall that last week, I promised a response to part 2 of last week’s question concerning whether or not we can earn our salvation. You will recall that the answer to part 1 is that Jesus has earned our salvation, since we could not. Our role, then, is to work out our salvation with fear and trembling by always accepting and living God’s will for us.

So, let’s embark on part 2: what does it mean for us to be made worthy of the promises of Christ? In other words, how can we be made worthy of salvation? Here’s one of the great paradoxes of our Faith: We know (1) that only those who are made perfect will make it to heaven (i.e. will gain salvation) [Revelation 21:27]; (2) that none of us is perfect [Romans 3:23]; and (3) that God wills that all be saved [1 Timothy 2:4]. How can all three of these be true? How can we, who are unworthy, be made worthy of salvation?

We recognize all of this at Mass when we proclaim: “Lord, I am not worthy that You should enter under my roof; but only say the Word, and my soul shall be healed.” Just as we are not worthy to have Jesus enter under our roof; so also, we are not worthy that we should enter under His roof (Heaven). Yet, we know in faith that “If You will it, You can make me clean” [Matthew 8:2]. So, Jesus, our Savior, the Son of God, the Son of Mary, is the One who can make us worthy of salvation. Of course, we proclaim this same Truth at Mass (in Eucharistic Prayer #2), when we pray: “Have mercy on us all, we pray, that with the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of God … we may merit to be coheirs to eternal life, and may praise and glorify You (Father) through Your Son, Jesus Christ.”

So, in a nutshell, we cannot merit our salvation, but God can change us into members of His Son (much like He can change a piece of bread into This Same Son, Jesus Christ) so that we can be made worthy of salvation. So, asking Mary (who, like all the Saints, is already worthy) to pray for us that we, too might be made worthy of the promises of her Son, is a fitting and effective remedy for all of us!

As always, thanks for asking such a great question, and if you have another way of looking at this or other questions of our Faith, please sign on to our website (www.stanthonyniagara.org), and post your own question or response in the Forums section under “Ask Father”. May God bless you and your loved ones!

--

Fr. Matt

April 10, 2014 at 11:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.