Forums

Forum Home > Ask Father > Going to Church

Fr. Matt
Site Owner

Why do we have to go to church?

June 12, 2014 at 11:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Fr. Matt
Site Owner

Here’s another good, honest question from one of our younger students. The kind of question that gets right to it. The kind of question I love. So, as always, thanks for asking – and let’s get right to responding!

We have to go to church for the same reason that we have to breathe. We have to go to church for the same reason that we have to eat and drink. We have to go to church for the same reason that we have to spend time with our family and play with our friends. We have to go to church so that we can be fully alive and happy!

Now, you might notice that there are some people who don’t do these things. If I don’t breathe, then my life will end very quickly. That’s why God made us so that we breathe automatically. If you don’t think about it, then your body will breathe on its own (unless your body isn’t working right). If I don’t eat or drink, then I can live a little while longer, but I’ll quickly grow weak and become irritable, and my life will end in a rather short time. If I don’t spend time with family and play with friends and pray and go to church, then I can probably still live quite a bit longer; but I’d be in a death-spiral. I’ll begin to lose touch with my true identity and with reality; I’ll become more irritable and depressed; and I’ll become less and less alive and happy. So, to avoid dying and to resume living, I have to do things like breathing, eating, drinking, praying, playing, and going to church.

The other thing you might notice is that even if I do all these things that I have to do, there are different airs to breathe, different foods to eat, different people to befriend, and different churches to go to. Which of these I choose will also make a big impact on my life and happiness. If I breathe air that doesn’t have the right amount of oxygen or that has too much of something (like carbon monoxide), I can very quickly become sick or even die. If I eat foods that don’t have enough of the right nutrients or that have certain poisons (like arsenic), I can become sick or even die. If I hang out with friends who don’t have good character or who have certain poisonous attributes, I may develop deadly habits and attitudes myself. And, if I go to a church that doesn’t have enough Jesus or that has poisonous spirits (like wiccan), I can become spiritually sick and die. That’s why it’s best to breathe fresh air, to eat healthy foods, to have good friends, and to go to a Catholic Church!

Thanks for another great question, and – as always – if you have further questions or insights, please share them with us via our website at: www.stanthonyniagara.org in the Forums section. May God bless you (and your Mom) this mothers’ day and always!

--

Fr. Matt

June 12, 2014 at 11:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.