Forums

Forum Home > Ask Father > Not Catholic

Fr. Matt
Site Owner

Why are some people not Catholic?

July 24, 2014 at 2:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Fr. Matt
Site Owner

Your simple and direct question touches the heartstrings of many people – from grandparents and children to priests and popes. It’s a very good question, so – as always, thanks for asking!

Before embarking on an answer, let me make one little observation. It’s about the very small – and yet very important – word that was missing from your question. That word is: “yet”. What you meant to ask was this: “Why are some people not yet Catholic?” Ok, now that we’ve gotten the yet set, the answer begins to emerge …

The reason why some people are not yet Catholic is that we’re not done yet! You and I have been given a great mission by none other than Jesus Himself. That mission is to (in His words), “Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, to the close of the age.” In other words, our mission is to help all people become Catholic.

A Catholic is someone who is a disciple of Jesus, who has been baptized in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, who observes all (that’s a key part of the meaning of the word ‘Catholic’) that Jesus has commanded us, and who lives with Jesus always (especially through prayer and the Sacraments). The reason that not yet everyone is Catholic is that we still have a lot of work to do.

That work that we still have to do is called Evangelization (which simply means announcing the Good News of Jesus). We need to begin by working on ourselves (and this part of our mission goes on for the whole of our lifetime) – making ourselves wholly holy Catholics by continuing to grow in a closer relationship with Jesus. As we work on ourselves (or rather, as we allow God to work on us), God will also show Himself to others through us. That is, you will begin to look more like God. You will become more Beautiful; you will become more True; you will become more Good. You will begin to look (and speak and act) like Love. This is the effect of being Catholic. This is what draws others to want to be Catholic with us.

So, until everyone is Catholic, we’ve got a lot of work to do. Let’s get busy! Thanks for another great question; and, as always, if you have further questions or insights or another way of looking at this question, please log on to www.stanthonyniagara.org in the “Ask Father” section of the forums to share your thoughts. Until next week, may God bless you and your loved ones!

--

Fr. Matt

July 24, 2014 at 2:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.