Welcome to St. Anthony, St. Margaret, 
and Sacred Heart Catholic Churches

Niagara, Pembine, and Aurora Wisconsin

Forums

Forum Home > Ask Father > Divine handshake

Fr. Matt
Site Owner

Can I shake God’s hand when my soul goes to heaven?

October 2, 2014 at 10:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Fr. Matt
Site Owner

Ahh, another 2nd grade question this week – and what a wonderful one it is! Your question is simple and direct, and yet deep and mysterious, and so I’m going to attempt to give an answer that is simple and direct, and a response that is deep and mysterious (though I doubt that my response can do justice to your question) …

The best and most important answer I can give in response to your question is an enthusiastic invitation. Can I shake God’s hand when my soul goes to heaven? Let’s go there and find out!!! (Ok, there’s the simple and direct response)

That’s the most important part of my answer to your question, but there are perhaps some other things we might wonder about in regard to this important matter. We profess a belief in “the resurrection of the body”. Since you and I are human beings, we are a hybrid of stuff and spirit (body and soul). We cannot be fully human (as God made us to be) without our bodies. It is for this reason that Jesus came and took upon Himself a human body and soul – He became fully one of us so that, in the end, we could be fully one with Him. Jesus rose from the dead in His human (yet somehow now glorified) body. Jesus’ body is in Heaven (and so is Mary’s, by the way). Among other things, that means that Jesus’ body can go places and do things that ours cannot yet do. But, in the resurrection, our bodies will also be in heaven (provided that we choose to go there), and will also be able to go places and do things that we cannot yet do now.

One of the things that our heavenly bodies will be able to do is to look upon the face of God (John says, “We shall be like God for we shall see God as He really is” [1 John 3:2]). I would be willing to bet that when Jesus meets you in your resurrected body, He will greet you with “a holy kiss” [Romans 16:16; 1 Corinthians 16:20; 2 Corinthians 13:12; 1 Thessalonians 5:26; 1 Peter 5:14] – which for us Americans living today would be the equivalent of a very warm and affectionate handshake. That’s what the “kiss of peace” is meant to symbolize at Mass (before we receive Communion).

I know there’s a lot more imbedded in your fine question, but this is about as far as I can go for right now in offering a response. Let me just finish by reposing my first answer/invitation. We both know where the full answer to your question lies – in heaven. Let’s you and me go there and find out!!!

Thanks for another great question; and, as always, if you have further questions or insights or another way of looking at this question, please log on to www.stanthonyniagara.org in the “Ask Father” section of the forums to share your thoughts. Until next week, may God bless you and your loved ones!

--

Fr. Matt

October 2, 2014 at 10:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.